Restaurant Criteria: Prince Edward Island restaurants with the capacity to purchase and serve Prince Edward Island seafood products.
Chef Criteria: Red Seal or equivalent, relevant work experience and currently employed as an executive chef at a Prince Edward Island restaurant.
The APPsolute Seafood Starter: App
2 Species required from list
The Ultimate Seafood Fusion: Main
3 Species required from list
Lobster, Rock Crab, Snow Crab, Mussels, Oysters, Scallops, Bar Clams, Soft Shell Clams, Quahaugs, Halibut, Bluefin Tuna, Smoked Salmon, Eel
All seafood species/products must have a guaranteed PEI origin.
Awards and Prizing:
- Islanders Choice Award –The APPsolute Seafood Starter – Restaurant Plaque and $500
- Islanders Choice Award –The Ultimate Seafood Fusion – Restaurant Plaque and $500
- Category Award –The APPsolute Seafood Starter – Restaurant Plaque and $1,000
- Category Award –The Ultimate Seafood Fusion – Restaurant Plaque and $1,000
- Best of Sea 2017 Chef of the Year Award – Top Combined Score of The APPsolute Seafood Starter and The Ultimate Seafood Fusion – Exclusive Invitation to the Garland International Chefs Challenge at the PEI International Shellfish Festival. The winner of the Garland Challenge will receive $10,000 in prize money.
Information on Dishes and Judging:
Each restaurant will be required to develop one dish per category and be required to participate in both categories in their division. Dishes are required to be on the menu for the full promotion period. The participating restaurant will be required to keep sales data on the promotion menu for evaluation of the project.
Participating restaurants will be given judging criteria for dish creation. Consumers will be able to vote for their favourite dishes at www.bestofsea.com and this data will be used to determine the Islander’s Choice Awards and count for points in the professional judging component.
Each restaurant will be required to prepare and present both dishes at Canada’s Smartest Kitchen (CSK) in Charlottetown for the professional judging panel. The panel will use the given criteria to judge all dishes for category awards and the overall chef winner who will be awarded the exclusive invitation to compete in the Garland International Chefs Challenge at the PEI International Shellfish Festival in September 2017.
The Garland International Chefs Challenge is a black box culinary competition where chefs from around the world compete for the prestigious title and $10,000 in prize money. The chefs in the challenge will also get the chance to participate in a private products tour on growing and harvesting our seafood and agricultural products.
Timelines and Deadlines:
- Confirmation of Restaurant Participation, Forms and Dish Submission – April 21, 2017
- Professional Photography and Videography for Participating Restaurants – April 30 to May 15, 2017
- Best of Sea Promotion – June 1 to June 30, 2017
- Best of Sea Judging at CSK – June 19 to June 21, 2017
- Best of Sea Winners Announced – July 2017
- Submission of Restaurant Data and Feedback – July 30, 2017
- Garland International Chefs Challenge – September 14 to 17, 2017
$400 Participation Fee and 2 x $50.00 Restaurant Gift Certificates
Deadline for applications is April 21, 2017. Please note that the promotion is subject to capacity limitations.