Photo: PEI Mussel Industry Council
Write a review
- 4 lb fresh cultured blue mussels
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup onions, diced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cup potatoes, diced
- 4 cup milk
- 2 cup light cream
- 4 slice bacon, fried crisp
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse the fresh blue mussels in tap water. Place in a large saucepan with a small amount of water on high heat. Cover and let steam until shells open (5 – 7 minutes). Remove meats, strain and reserve broth.
- Add enough hot water to broth to make 4 cups (1 L).
- Melt butter in pot, add onion, and sauté until transparent. Add flour and stir to blend thoroughly with fat, gradually add broth and water mixture, bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes, simmer until nearly done.
- Add fresh blue mussels and gently stir in milk and cream; heat.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with bacon strips or crumbled. Also a touch of paprika adds nice colour.
Best of Sea http://bestofsea.com/