Mussels with Greens and Blue Cheese
Photo: PEI Mussel Industry Council
Write a review
- 5 lb fresh blue cultured mussels
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g pancetta, proscuitto or bacon, diced
- 2 shallots, minced
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 200 g creamy blue cheese
- arugula, spinach or watercress (large)
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- crusty bread to serve
- 1 cup white wine
- Rinse fresh blue mussels in tap water and set aside. Discard any mussel that does not close after being rinsed.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add pancetta, proscuitto or bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crispy. Add shallot and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes more.
- Add white wine, lemon juice and blue cheese. Stir briefly, then add mussels. Cover and leave to steam for 5-7 minutes, or until mussels are open. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Toss in greens and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with lemon zest.
- Serve with slices of crusty bread.
Best of Sea http://bestofsea.com/