PEI’s rich red soil and clean air is the perfect recipe for growing the best potatoes in the world. Our farmers have been growing and harvesting PEI potatoes since the 1790’s and our farms account for 25% of Canadian potato production.
Health Fact } PEI potatoes are naturally free of fat, cholesterol, sodium and gluten.
- 2-3 each PEI Russet Potatoes, washed and sliced
- 1 cup Glasgow Glen Farms Gouda Cheese, grated
- 3 tbsp PEI Butter, melted
- ¼ cup Onion, small diced
- 1 cup Pancetta, chopped
- to taste Fresh Thyme or Oregano
- to taste Salt & Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat; cook pancetta until crisp.
- Drain excess grease and set aside.
- Brush the insides of a muffin pan (8-12 portions) with 1 tbsp melted butter. Toss potato slices with remaining melted butter and season with salt, black pepper and thyme or oregano.
- Place one potato slice in the bottom of each muffin cup; trim to fit if necessary. Top with a layer of onions, pancetta and gouda cheese. Place another potato on each stack pressing down and repeat with another layer of onions, pancetta, and gouda.
- Top each stack with last slice of potato and remaining cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and golden; remove from oven and serve hot.
- Chef’s Tip: Bacon can be used in place of pancetta if desired.