Tomato Basil Mussels served with Pasta
Photo: PEI Mussel Industry Council
Write a review
- 2 lb fresh cultured blue mussels
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (19 oz) tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1⁄4 tsp tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 package pasta of choice
- Rinse the fresh blue mussels in tap water.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add 2 tbsp of the onions and garlic. Sauté until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, wine (or chicken stock), basil and Tabasco sauce and bring to a boil.
- Add the fresh blue mussels. Cover and steam until mussels open, 3 to 5 minutes. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Transfer the fresh blue mussels to a serving bowl. Stir vinegar into the tomato mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour over mussels and sprinkle with remaining onion. There are two options with this recipe –remove mussel meat and add to the sauce or add the whole mussels to the sauce.
- Serve with rice or pasta.
Best of Sea https://bestofsea.com/